Parents Be Warned: Sophie the Giraffe Toy May Be Filled With Mold, Says Doctor
Popular baby chew toy Sophie, the Giraffe was reportedly found with mold growing inside it. The incident was reported first by paediatric dentist, Dana Chianese.
Chew toys or a teether is a baby toy made generally out of rubber. It is used as a soothing tool for teething infants.
Chianese told Goodhousekeeping that she used to recommend Sophie, the Giraffe, as a teething toy to parents but not anymore.
What changed her mind you wonder? About a month ago Dana noticed musty smelling air coming out of the toy, which her children prefer to play with.
"I decided to cut into Sophie out of curiosity and discovered a science experiment living inside. Smelly, ugly mold living in my infant's favorite chew toy!," shared Chianese with the publication.
Chianese states that she cleans the toy strictly following the instructions given by the company, using soapy hot water and applying it on the toy with a damp sponge. Dana claims to have never put the toy in water completely for cleaning purposes.
Allegations against Sophie, the Giraffe, is not an isolated incident. Stephanie Opera, a concerned mother, also reviewed the product on Amazon and tried to warn other parents about the teething toy through her review.
"Beware!! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you'll end up with mold! We've had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold!" wrote Stephanie on Amazon.
A What to Expect user, also found mold inside the toy. On hearing news that the toy's legs get caught in babies' throat, the user consulted with her DH and decided to chop off the legs. It could be safely assumed that she was not expecting to see mold inside the toy.
How To Protect The Babies
While parents are panicking over the fact that mold has been found inside a teether frequently used by infants, Dr. Luba Konopasek, an Assistant Professor of Paediatrics at New York Presbyterian and Weil Cornell Medical Center asks parents not to get too alarmed.
Dr. Konopasek told care.com that parents need not get too anxious about the mold situation, until and unless their child has an immune disorder like mold allergy. In that case it is safe to say, keep the child away from Sophie.
Carolyn Forte, director of Cleaning Lab suggests that parents clean and thoroughly dry the plastic toys to prevent the growth of mold inside them.
Laurie Schraenen, a spokeswoman for Sophie the Giraffe recently issued a statement on being contacted by Good Housekeeping. In the statement, Schraenen clearly stated that Sophie the Giraffe was made out of 100% natural rubber and the company recommends cleaning the toy, strictly abiding by the instructions given by the company.
The company has promised it will look into the matter seriously and will conduct further examination to reach to the bottom of the matter.
From Our Sponsor
Under The Tree: Smart Christmas Packaging Tips From Packsize, The Pros In On-Demand Custom PackagingTips on how to celebrate a merrier Christmas this year.