Pokémon GO Guide: How To Evolve Gen 2 Pokémon And The Items That You Need
Gamers are once again launching Pokémon GO in their smartphones after Niantic Labs recently released the much-awaited Gen 2 update.
The massive update introduced several changes to Pokémon GO, including the addition of 80 new Pokémon from Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver to catch and train. Also being added to the mobile game are items which are required to unlock some of the Gen 2 Pokémon.
Here is a quick guide on how to evolve the Gen 2 Pokémon of Pokémon GO.
New Evolution Items In 'Pokémon GO'
There are a few Gen 2 Pokémon that are evolved from Gen 1 Pokémon, and most of these evolutions are the ones that require players to collect certain items in addition to the certain kind of candy that they need to collect.
Candy to evolve a specific kind of Pokémon can be acquired by repeatedly catching the same Pokémon or by assigning the Pokémon as the player's Buddy. The new evolution items, meanwhile, are found randomly at PokéStops, in addition to the usual PokéBalls, potions, and other items that players acquire when passing through them.
There are five new evolution items in Pokémon GO, and these are the Sun Stone, the King's Rock, the Metal Coat, the Dragon Scale, and the Up-Grade. Collecting the items is difficult though, as they do not drop as often as other items when spinning PokéStops.
'Pokémon GO' Gen 2 Evolutions
There are currently eight Pokémon that use one of these new items as part of their evolutions. They are as follows:
- Gloom, which evolves into Bellossom with one Sun Stone and 100 candies
- Onix, which evolves into Steelix with one Metal Coat and 50 candies
- Poliwhirl, which evolves into Politoed instead of Poliwrath with one King's Rock and 100 candies
- Porygon, which evolves into Porygon2 with one Up-Grade and 50 candies
- Seadra, which evolves into Kingdra with one Dragon Scale and 100 candies
- Scyther, which evolves into Scizor with one Metal Coat and 50 candies
- Slowpoke, which evolves into Slowking instead of Slowbro with one King's Rock and 50 candies
- Sunkern, which evolves into Sunflora with one Sun Stone and 50 candies
There are also other Gen 1 Pokémon that can evolve into Gen 2 Pokémon, but they do not require any of the new evolution items to do so. They are as follows:
- Chansey, which evolves into Blissey with 50 candies
- Eevee, which evolves into Espeon or Umbreon with 25 candies
- Golbat, which evolves into Crobat with 100 candies
To make sure that Eevee evolves into either Espeon or Umbreon, players can use the same trick that ensured that Eevee will transform into the Gen 1 Eeveelutions of Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon.
The Future Of 'Pokémon GO'
With the Gen 2 update, Niantic Labs proved that while it is no longer as popular as when it was first released, Pokémon GO still has a huge player base. The addition of 80 new Pokémon to catch is apparently just the start, as the developer's CEO John Hanke said that Pokémon trading and player vs. player battles will be coming soon to the mobile game.