MENU

Headphone Explodes While Owner Was Napping, Lithium Battery To Blame?

15 March 2017, 6:58 am EDT By Steve Bowman Tech Times
A woman suffered from burns during a flight to Melbourne when her lithium powered headphone exploded. This incident showcases the risks of using battery-operated devices aboard flights.  ( Australian Transport Safety Bureau )

An incident took place aboard a flight in Australia which again highlights the dangers of using battery-operated devices during air travel.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fiasco back in 2016, led authorities to ban the device aboard flights in many regions of the world after some of these smartphones exploded. A similar incident has now occurred on a Melbourne-bound flight from Beijing, China.

The Headphone Explosion Incident

On the flight, a woman suffered from burns after her lithium battery-operated headphones exploded The lady was sleeping while listening to music from her headphone. After, two hours her headphones caught fire and she was jolted awake from her sleep.

"As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face, I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck. I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire," stated the victim.

The battery which was the cause of fire and its cover had melted and was stuck to the plane's floor.

Such accidents can turn into a life threatening one while on flight, but luckily the cabin crew acted quickly. As the victim had stamped her foot on the burning headphones the cabin crew members were ready with water, which they poured to kill the flames.

Necessary Precautions That Should Be Taken

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has not revealed the identity of the victim, but pictures have been released. The images highlight the injuries and the burns which the woman suffered.

The images show her face and mouth covered with black stain caused by the explosion. The victim's hand, eyebrows and hair were scorched and the others in the flight had to endure the unpleasant odor of burnt plastic and hair through the remaining duration of the flight.

This accident occurred on Feb. 19 but was reported recently. ATSB's spokesman said that department is not pursuing an inquiry, but is using this incident to encourage safety regarding the usage of battery-operated gadgets on flights.

The spokesperson also requested flight passengers to take the necessary safety measures related to lithium powered products.

They recommended that batteries must be stowed away unless it is being used. Even while storing batteries, passengers must be careful to store it in the carry-on baggage and not in the checked baggage.

The name of the brand which the victim was using has not been revealed as according to the bureau, the problem was not with the headphone but with the batteries which were being used.

© 2017 Tech Times, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

From Our Sponsor

How To Shop Smart: 5 Characteristics Of A Smart Shopper

You may love shopping, you may be a bargain hunter....but are you a smart shopper?