Antidote Narcan Comes To The Rescue Of Pennsylvania Girl Who Overdosed On Heroin
Heroin overdose deaths are on the rise in the United States and the drug is even affecting pre-teen children. In a horrific case, an 11-year-old Pennsylvanian girl had to be admitted to hospital after it was discovered that she had overdosed on the dangerous opioid on Wednesday, May 3.
Paramedics on the scene revived the girl with Narcan, which is an anti-opioid medication and then took her to the hospital for further treatment.
Police reports state that a family member discovered the 11-year-old girl, whose name has not been revealed, to be unresponsive and unconscious. The incident occurred in her home in the 2300 block of Palm Beach Avenue before 6 p.m.
The family member called paramedics while performing CPR on the sixth-grade student of South Mills Middle School. After paramedics arrived and determined that the victim was still breathing, they administered the antidote Narcan to revive her. However, she became violent and had to be sedated before being transported to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Hospital authorities reported that the girl was in critical condition upon arrival.
The Investigation: Heroin Discovered
Several bags of heroin were discovered in the victim's room, one of which was open. The child's 20-year-old sister was shocked to find that the pre-teen was using heroin. She claimed that none of the family members were aware that the youngster had developed this dangerous habit. She also stated that she had no clue from where the victim had procured the large quantities of heroin.
The girl's mother was also reportedly distraught when paramedics first responded and claimed ignorance to her daughter's addiction.
Police officials declined to comment on the ongoing investigation, which looks to determine the source of the heroin present in the 11-year-old's room. It is also unclear at this point whether child services are involved in the case.
Opioid Overdose Rates In Pittsburgh
Officials state that the opioid overdose is rising at an alarming rate across Pittsburgh and Allegheny County as a whole. In 2016, 613 people died due to some form of drug overdose in the county and among these, 130 belonged to the city of Pittsburgh. This year, at least 74 people have been killed due to opioid overdose.
Stacey Yaras, who is an emergency medic crew and helped revive the 11-year-old girl, noted that this was the youngest victim of drug overdose that she had witnessed in her 24-year service.
"It sticks with you. It gets stuck in your teeth. Like, what did this kid see that she needed to escape from?" Yaras told the Post-Gazette, sharing the horror of finding someone so young in such a predicament.
From Our Sponsor
How To Shop Smart: 5 Characteristics Of A Smart ShopperYou may love shopping, you may be a bargain hunter....but are you a smart shopper?