A wanted teen was charged with attempted murder this week for trying to poison her 11-week-old niece through toxic milk.
The teen, who is still at large, even said through a text message to her boyfriend that she did not feel guilty at all for trying to kill the baby.
Teen Tries To Poison 11-Week-Old Niece
Sarai Rodriguez-Miranda was 18 years old in January when she tried to kill her 11-week-old niece by mixing crushed pills into a bottle of breast milk intended for the child.
Now 19 years old, Rodriguez-Miranda remains on the run, with authorities believing that she fled her Fort Wayne home and went to Michigan with her boyfriend after the incident.
The teenager was upset that her mother allowed her brother, his fiancée, and their baby to stay at their home longer than expected. She hatched a plan to poison the baby and texted her boyfriend about it through the phone that she shared with her mother.
"I'm gonna crush up some of these pills since she decided they can stay longer and kill their baby," Rodriguez-Miranda said.
"I put the stuff in a made bottle in the fridge ... Yeah I thought it was funny that I don't have an ounce of guilt," she added.
Fortunately, the teenager's mother was able to read the text messages. After taking screenshots of the messages, she checked the two bottles of breast milk in their refrigerator. One bottle looked darker, with residue at the bottom. While the baby did not drink the milk, she was still taken to the hospital, where it was confirmed that she was not poisoned.
It was a good thing that the teenager's mother foiled the plan. Court documents revealed that the tainted milk contained small amounts of caffeine, acetaminophen, and aspirin, plus nine pills of Excedrin. The concoction would have been enough to kill even an adult, a forensic toxicologist said.
"Why didn't that baby die dude that's dumb," Rodriguez-Miranda said in a later message. "They definitely threw it out ... I hope she dies. I don't feel bad about it."
A warrant has been issued for Rodriguez-Miranda's arrest.
Keep Children Safe From Poison
The horrible incident recalls another case from earlier this month when authorities concluded that a nine-month-old baby suffered from lead poisoning a year ago due to a homeopathic teething bracelet. The difference, of course, was that this one was an unfortunate event, while Rodriguez-Miranda planned the death of her baby niece.
A report from March 2016 claimed that over 150 kids are sent to the emergency room daily due to poisoning from accidental medical overdoses. Parents need to be more vigilant in keeping their children away from possible cases of poisoning.