- (China Photos | Getty Images)
- (Philippe Lopez | AFP/Getty Images)
- (Richard A. Brooks | AFP/Getty Images)
- (Isaac Lawrence | AFP/Getty Images)
- (Peter Parks | AFP/Getty Images)
- (Oli Scarff | Getty Images)
- (Joe Scarnici | Getty Images)
- (Ishara S. Kodikara | AFP/Getty Images)
Tencent Was The Most Valuable Brand In Asia In 2016
Tencent was hailed the most valuable brand in Asia in 2016 and became one of the top 10 globally by market capitalization. It took the title from Samsung, the South Korean mobile and electronics maker. It was the time when it had to recall the Galaxy Note 7 due to battery issues while Tencent's stocks continued to surge.
With a valuation of $255 billion, it overtook Alibaba by a close margin at $250 billion. At the time, it played in the same field as Apple, Google, Facebook, and some of the biggest U.S. tech companies. Its success was mostly due to China's consumer spending coupled with its major investments in the venture capital scene.