Samsung Is Sued After Galaxy S7 Edge Explodes And Causes Third-Degree Burns
Samsung took a sustained beating last week after its Galaxy Note 7 was inundated with charges of overheating and exploding batteries. Now, the first suit against the company during this period has been filed, and interestingly, it involved another flagship device.
Daniel Ramirez sued Samsung after sustaining second- and third-degree burns when the Galaxy S7 edge he purchased at Best Buy exploded in his pocket.
In a product liability suit, Ramirez claimed that the incident transpired on May 30 while he was involved in a bookstore construction in Ohio as part of his work for the National Property Solutions Group.
There was no information available that could explain the cause of the explosion except that it caught fire while inside Ramirez's pocket.
The victim only heard his phone whistling and screeching before it was engulfed in flames, according to ClassAction.com. His right hand was injured as he tried to fish out the device unsuccessfully. The phone eventually exploded in his pocket, searing his legs and groin in the process.
Lawyers representing Ramirez said that the burn injuries were permanent, life-altering and would require skin graft surgery and physical therapy. The legal team is asking the Superior Courts of New Jersey for damages.
They are calling for a wider investigation to determine whether Ramirez's case is related to the Note 7 flaw, which prompted it to be recalled. Ramirez believes that if the explosion was also caused by a battery flaw similar to the one in the Note 7, then the recall should be expanded to ensure the safety of the consumers.
It is important to note that the exploding Galaxy S7 edge, which Samsung released earlier this year, is still not a widespread issue as opposed to the level of risk in the more recently launched Galaxy Note 7.
For this reason, Ramirez's case is still considered rare or even a one-off event. This, however, is bound to change if other S7 edge owners report similar complaints that prompted critical responses such as the statements from the Federal Aviation Administration and U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission classifying the Note 7 as a fire hazard.
Earlier this month, an S7 edge device already exploded while being charged. However, no one was harmed, and no complaint has been put forward. Samsung also reportedly offered to replace the device or issue a refund.
Photo: Răzvan Băltărețu | Flickr
From Our Sponsor
Eco-friendly Packaging On Demand Technology Changes The Way Retailers Think About Shipping PackagesOn-demand packaging can be eco-friendly as well as save costs. Now, who would have thought of that? Packsize did, and it's changing the business of shipping packages.