Two People Critically Ill After Consuming Toxic Tea In San Francisco
According to the San Francisco Department of Public Health, two people got extremely sick and had to be admitted to the hospital after drinking a poisonous herbal tea. The toxic tea was reportedly acquired from a tea seller in Grant Avenue in Chinatown.
Two different incidents occurred in February and March where a woman and a man in their 50s and 30s, respectively, became critically sick within one hour of consuming herbal tea. The particular tea leaves were bought from the same herbal tea seller Sun Wing Wo Trading Co.
Both the victims suffered from severe weakness and irregular heartbeats afterwards, which were life-threatening. As a result the man and the woman had to be as the symptoms demanded proper care in the hospital.
The Toxic Tea
A plant-based poison known as aconite has been spotted in the lab tests of the victims, as well as the samples of the tea leaves.
The city's health department inspectors are evacuating the particular herbal products that affected the two victims from the shelves of Sun Wing Wo Trading Co. The department is also demanding and working in tandem with the owner of the shop to track down the entire source of the contagion. This will help the authorities determine that no other customer can become a victim of the toxic tea.
"Anyone who has purchased tea from this location should not consume it and should throw it away immediately," said Dr. Tomás Aragón, health Officer for the City & County of San Francisco.
He added that the poison found in the tea, aconite can easily affect the heart and it can be deadly. Even if someone has bought the tea and did not feel any symptoms after consuming it, health officials are still asking people not to consume it for their safety.
Symptoms Of The Poison
Unusual sensory functions, such as numb or itchy face, mouth or even arms and legs, weak limbs and paralysis are some of the symptoms those consuming the toxic tea containing aconite may encounter.
Cardiological flaws such as, extremely low blood pressure, chest throbbing and pain in the chest, abnormal heartbeats - which can cause sudden death - along with some common symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps.
These after effects can take minutes and up to a few hours to show up and if anyone suddenly sees any symptoms after drinking the tea, he or she should immediately call 911 or visit the nearest hospital to seek assistance.
What Is Aconite?
The common names of aconite are monkshood, helmet flower, wolfbane, chuanwu, caowu and fuzi and it is very commonly used in Asian herbal medicine as a cure for several medical conditions.
Although, the raw flowers of the plant are extremely poisonous, but after proper processing it can be used safely. However, no antidote has been invented for aconite contamination.
Photo: Andy Melton | Flickr
From Our Sponsor
Eco-friendly Packaging On Demand Technology Changes The Way Retailers Think About Shipping PackagesOn-demand packaging can be eco-friendly as well as save costs. Now, who would have thought of that? Packsize did, and it's changing the business of shipping packages.