The Witcher 3 Modkit Update Is 'Right Around The Corner' - What's New?
When The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Modkit was released a few months ago, gamers soon realized its limitations: the content-adding tool was far from the Redkit mod that allowed customization of the previous two titles.
In a response to the public dismay, Marcin Momot, CD Projekt Community Manager, confirmed that the studio was not working on any new mod.
Good news came on Oct. 19, when a post on the CD Projekt Red forums announced to gamers that the heavily anticipated update to the Modkit is "right around the corner." Along with bug fixes and other new features, modders will now be able to load additional textures to the game.
Here is the list of changes contained in the update:
- A bug causing wcc_lite to fail when uncooking the game. (fixed)
- The capacity to mod textures from the textures array (added).
- Warning information is presented when wcc_lite fails due too long file path. (added)
- Cleaned up wcc_lite output log.
- An issue caused some speculars and normal maps to import in a glitchy way. Now imported textures that have name ending in "_n" and "_s" get to proper categories. (fixed)
- It is now possible to use modded new textures. (added)
- Script Studio received a couple of fixes and small improvements.
Some users hoped that the new update will release them from CMD coding and bring an interface. The Community Manager's response to questions regarding UI support on the Modkit was discouraging.
"Doubt this will happen. Sorry," Momot wrote.
CD Projekt Red looks forward to a future when mods that are crafted on PC will play nice with the console version of the title. A positive, yet distant example seems to be Fallout 4, from Bethesda Studios.
"The idea is that [the tools] will work on all platforms, but the truth is the system doesn't exist. It's still being built and worked on," Marketing VP Pete Hines revealed.
Since its release in May 2015, sales of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt reached an impressive amount of 6 million. The game already released a paid expansion called Hearts of Stone.
For now, the vague notion of "right around the corner" is all we get regarding the release of the Modkit update.