Just a day after finding its writer in Eric Heisserer, the "Sandman" adaptation lost its director and star, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The actor took to Facebook to make the announcement, citing creative differences with New Line Cinema as the reason for his departure.
But while news of his leaving is fresh, it looks like Gordon-Levitt had known for a while that the project might not be a good fit. According to his post, a few months ago he realized that he and New Line, the studio to where Warner Bros. shifted its entire Vertigo catalog, are not on the same page on what a film adaptation could and should be and what makes "Sandman" special.
"So unfortunately, I decided to remove myself from the project. I wish nothing but the best for the team moving forward," wrote Gordon-Levitt.
His leaving is a great shame because his participation as director and star held a lot of promise, most especially when he realized the magnitude of undertaking adapting for the big screen one of most well-loved and critically acclaimed comic book titles.
Gordon-Levitt said the team understood just how ambitious the project was but he was pleased with the progress they were making although they truly had ways to go.
The actor also took the time to thank everyone he's worked with so far for the adaptation, including Neil Gaiman. He said getting to know the original author of "The Sandman" series was a "particular privilege as well as a rocking good time."
Gordon-Levitt also recently joined Amazon Studios' "K Troop" as producer. The film follows the rise of the KKK and highlights the man who led the K Troop, an elite group from the U.S. Army responsible for stomping out the group in 1871. "K Troop" is based off an article published in Slate by Matthew Pearl.
His latest film "Snowden" is due to hit North American theaters on Sept. 16, 2016. Gordon-Levitt is also known for his work in "The Walk," "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For," "Don Jon," "The Dark Knight Rises," "Inception" and "(500) Days of Summer."