The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is urging anyone who drank raw milk within the last six months to go see a doctor immediately. The agency says a woman in New Jersey got sick from a bacterial infection after she drank contaminated raw milk.
CDC Issues A Warning
Last September, a woman from New Jersey got infected by Brucella abortus RB51, a rare but potentially serious bacteria, after she drank unpasteurized milk produced by the New York-based company Udder Milk.
The CDC managed to confirm the results of the woman's infection last October. However, the agency found it very difficult to track down the source of the woman's infection because Udder Milk did not provide any information on the farms that supply their products.
An Investigation Under Way
Scientists from the CDC are working together with state health officials to investigate the situation. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Department of Agriculture are also working with state health officials to track down the source of the contamination.
Brucella Abortus RB51
Brucella abortus RB51 can cause people who were infected by it to become sick. It is usually transmitted by consuming contaminated meat or raw milk. People can also catch the bacteria when they breathe deeply in a slaughterhouse or packing plant.
Brucella RB51 Strain
The Brucella RB51 strain is known to be resistant to some antibiotics that doctors would normally prescribe for brucellosis. According to the CDC, if anyone drank Udder Milk's product, they should let their doctors know that they may have been exposed to this particular strain.
Also, if anyone drank the milk from the company, they should try to check themselves every day and see whether they developed any fever after a month from the last time they consumed the milk. They should also check themselves for six months and see whether they are experiencing any of the symptoms of brucellosis.
What Are The Symptoms Of The Infection?
The symptoms of a Brucella abortus RB51 infection include muscle pain, depression, arthritis, swelling of the testicles, lasting fatigue. If the infection is left untreated, long-term health issues may arise, such as arthritis, swelling of the liver, heart problems, and, in rare cases, meningitis.
In addition, the bacteria may also cause people with weakened immune systems to get very sick and pregnant women to have miscarriages and other pregnancy complications.