A wild deer that had been wandering around Marlboro, New Jersey for the past few months with an arrow protruding from its muzzle received some much needed relief Tuesday morning.

Animal experts from the Division of Fish and Wildlife of New Jersey's Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) successfully removed the projectile from the deer's head that had been plaguing the animal since last winter.

Kim Tinnes, along with fellow conservationists Joseph Burke and George Garbaravage, was able to lure the wild animal using corn to a private property located near Marlboro's Suffolk Way. They then tranquilized the deer using a dart gun.

Under the guidance of a veterinarian on the scene, the animal experts cut off the shaft of the arrow but left its arrowhead in place. The veterinarian, who is also a seasoned wildlife rehabilitator, advised the group against the removal of the arrowhead as the wound around it had already healed. Removing the piece of projectile could potentially cause further injury to the animal.

By removing the shaft of the arrow, the experts believe that this will help eliminate the risk of the animal becoming snagged on tree branches or other objects. This will also prevent the wound from opening or cause further internal damage.

The doe was released back into the wild following the emergency operation after it appeared to be in good health. The animal is expected to survive its wound and make a full recovery.

It is still not certain how long the projectile had been lodged in the muzzle of the deer, but the NJDEP's fish and wildlife division was notified about the animal's predicament in December. The agency made several attempts at tranquilizing the deer over the winter but efforts were temporarily put on hold after the animal had become pregnant.

"We thank all of the New Jersey residents and people from all over the world who have expressed concern about the deer, as well as local residents who have been very helpful in providing information on her movements throughout the community and even set up bait stations on their properties," David Chanda, director of NJDEP's Division of Fish and Wildlife, said.

"Tracking the whereabouts of any single animal is difficult under any circumstances, and this doe was no exception."

ⓒ 2021 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.