MENU

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ Catches Fire With Official Charger

Close

The Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ of an unfortunate owner burst into flames while the device was juicing up with an official charger.

The culprit in cases like this is often a shoddy third-party charger, but what strikes this case as odd is that an official Samsung charger had caused the fire this time.

The roommate of the smartphone owner posted images of the aftermath on Reddit, saying that they woke up to a funny smell in the apartment.

Bearing the moniker needs_tree_fiddy on Reddit, the owner shed light on the whole ordeal, explaining that, while it was indeed a charger from Samsung, it wasn't the one that came with the Galaxy S6 edge+ out of the box.

"I was not using the charger that it came with, but I was using a Samsung charger that I got with my GS3 [Galaxy S3]. The phone was not under my pillow, but it was lying next to me on my bed," the Redditor said, noting that the sizzling sound and the fumes woke them up.

Now, there are a lot of possibilities about what happened here. First off, the Galaxy S3 charger could have already been dilapidated or damaged. Second, the battery of the Galaxy S6 edge+ could have already been defective. Third, outside elements such as dust and water could have caused the fire. Last, the smartphone could have been left charging for far too long on the bed. Devices typically heat up to unsafe levels when plugged in.

Considering that the handset in question is a premium device, it's a safe bet to assume that the thought of it catching fire doesn't cross the minds of many users. However, this isn't the first time that something like this has happened, so regardless of the phone brand or manufacturer, it's better to exercise some caution.

ⓒ 2018 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Real Time Analytics