Firmware Update 8.0.0 has begun rolling out to Nintendo Switch owners, introducing brand-new profile icons, a way to transfer save data from one Switch to another, a new Zoom feature, and a bunch of much-needed fixes and minor tweaks to the console.
Players are now able to sort and organize software on the home screen based on time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher. The "All Software" option now also shows up when there are 13 or more software icons on the home menu.
Perhaps the most notable new feature of this update is that players can now transfer save data to another system. This is done by heading to System Settings, Data Management, and then choosing Transfer Your Save Data. One major caveat to take note of first, though: Once a save data is transferred, it's erased from the console it was originally on, known as the source system.
As for the new sorting options, players can now arrange their downloaded titles based on when they were last played, for how long, their names, and their publishers. One Reddit user noted that Nintendo seems to be toying with the idea of adding of folders but isn't fully committed about it yet, and that's hard to argue against. Even though it's been on the market for more than two years, the Switch still doesn't offer an option to sort titles inside folders, a basic feature. It's still not clear why this is, but perhaps that'll change by the time the next firmware update arrives.
Another notable addition is the zoom feature, which lets players get a closer look at things. When enabled, zooming is as easy as pressing the home button twice.
Nintendo has also added 15 new player icons featuring characters from Splatoon 2 and Yoshi's Crafted World. It's a bummer no one from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was included, but again, that might come in the next update.
Below is the full patch notes for Firmware Update 8.0.0, as posted on Nintendo's website.
- A Sort Software feature is available after selecting to view All Software from the HOME Menu
- Software can be sorted by time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher
- The All Software option displays when there are 13 or more software icons on the HOME Menu
- A View All Available News option is available within News, allowing you to view all news items currently being distributed
- Go to News > Channel List > View More
Select from 15 new icons from the Splatoon 2 and Yoshi's Crafted World games for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the HOME Menu > Profile
- A feature to Transfer Your Save Data is now available, allowing you to transfer your save data for individual games between your Nintendo Switch systems
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Transfer Your Save Data
- Save data will not remain on your source system after the transfer process completes
- A Zoom feature can be enabled from within System Settings
- Go to System Settings > System to turn Zoom ON
- Once enabled, you can use the Zoom feature by pressing the HOME Button twice
- An option is available to prevent the system from waking from Sleep Mode when an AC adapter is disconnected
- Go to System Settings > Sleep Mode > Wake When AC Adapter is Disconnected
- This also applies when undocking your console
- A VR Mode (3D Visuals) restriction is available within Parental Controls
- This will also be available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app through a later update
- Go to System Settings > Parental Controls
- These settings can also be changed from within Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
- Hong Kong / Taiwan / South Korea is available for selection in Region
- Go to System Settings > System > Region
- The following names have been changed (functionality remains the same)
- Save Data Cloud Backup > Save Data Cloud
- Transfer Your User and Save Data > Transfer Your User Data
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.