Amazon has finally launched its first all-electric delivery van, built by EV startup Rivian. Just like a standard electric vehicle, this van doesn't look different from other traditional vans out there. However, since it's from Amazon, it is expected to make things differently. And that now includes a real dance floor inside the vehicle.
Amazon's all-electric delivery van: What can it do?
If you think Amazon is already done on bringing cool stuff to the table, think again. On Thursday, Oct. 8, the e-commerce store unveiled its new all-electric delivery truck, built in partnership with electric transportation startup and Tesla rival, Rivian.
A lot of innovation on trucks are put on the vehicle to set it apart from the traditional delivery vans. This van comes with state-of-the-art technology, with exterior cameras that detect the 360-view of the road, and an advanced driver-assist system.
Amazon didn't reveal any specific details about the vehicle, including the performance or battery of the vehicle. However, here are some of the unique features of the Amazon custom vehicle, based on the press release.
- Exterior cameras around the vehicle are linked to a digital display inside the cabin, giving the driver a 360-degree view outside the vehicle.
- A strengthened door on the driver's side for additional protection.
- Bright tail lights surrounding the rear of the vehicle to easily detect braking.
- State-of-the-art sensor detection, a suite of highway and traffic assist technology, and a large windshield to enhance driver visibility.
- Three levels of shelving with a bulkhead door, which can easily be opened and closed for additional driver protection while on the road.
- Alexa integration for hands-free access to route information and the latest weather updates.
- A "dance floor" inside the driver's cabin for easy movement inside the van.
One of the things that caught our eyes on the feature is the dance floor feature inside the driver's cabin. We still don't know the meaning or the sole purpose of this feature.
Maybe we'll soon see bunch of Amazon drivers dancing on TikTok, why not?
Related Article: [UPDATE]: Antifa Protesters Break into Amazon Go Seattle Store, Police Label them 'Criminal Acts'
What is Rivian company?
Rivian is actually a new name on the electric truck business industry. It first debuted in 2018 and was originally founded to compete with Elon Musk's Tesla company.
In 2019, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos led a major investment to the company for an amount of $700 million funding.
The e-commerce giant also says it expects to receive 10,000 vans on the road making deliveries "as early as 2022." Other than that, a total fleet of 100,000 vehicles are also expected to come by 2030.
Rivian also intends to build and ship electric pickups and SUVs to consumers on top of its commercial vehicle plans.
This article is owned by Tech Times
Written by Jamie Pancho