Chris Brown is finally free.

On Friday, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James Brandlin ended Brown's felony probation stemming from the 2009 incident when he brutally attacked his then-girlfriend Rihanna. The judge's decision marked the first time in six years that the 25-year old singer wouldn't be under the supervision of the legal system.

The ruling was released after Brown's probation report was reviewed and the singer was deemed to have completed the terms of his sentence, which included rehab, community service and counseling on domestic violence.

While in rehab, Brown was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, complications from substance abuse and post-traumatic stress disorder. The singer said that he had witnessed domestic violence when he was a child.

Brown assaulted his then-girlfriend Rihanna on Feb. 8, 2009 — hours before the two were scheduled to perform at the Grammy Awards.

Brown, who was 19 years old at the time of the attack, assaulted Rihanna in a sports car. He fled the scene but later turned himself over to the Los Angeles Police Department and pleaded guilty to the attack. He was charged and placed under supervision.

A photo of a Rihanna with battered face showing the extent of the injuries eventually emerged. Brown had punched Rihanna several times, bit her ear and choked her to the point that she almost lost consciousness.

The singer said that he was grateful that Rihanna had forgiven him and admitted that he was arrogant and hotheaded at the time of the incident.

"Everybody has a temper, but for me it was not knowing how to control it when I thought I had the world in my hands," Brown said.

Since the 2009 altercation, Rihanna and Brown even collaborated on a few songs together, including "Nobody's Business" and the Grammy-winning "Unapologetic."

In spite of the damage to his public image, Brown's career rebounded. In 2012, he went on to win a Grammy awards for best R&B album. The singer, however, continued to have run-ins with trouble.  In 2013, he was charged with assault after he hit a man outside a hotel in Washington. Following court-ordered anger management sessions, Brown threw a brick through the window of his mother's car.

Brown had difficulty completing his community service obligations. His probation was revoked in January after he performed in Northern California without seeking permission.

On March 20, six years after the incident, Brown finished serving time for his attack on Rihanna.

ⓒ 2021 All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.