Starbucks recalled its holiday turkey panini sandwich in 1,347 locations across three U.S. states namely California, Nevada and Oregon. The recall was made due to an Escherichia coli (E.coli) scare, which has also struck Costco Wholesale Corp.
The products recalled were labelled "Holiday Turkey & Stuffing" and have expiration dates of Nov. 27, 2015 to Nov. 28, 2015.
The sandwiches, which weigh approximately 7.7 ounces per serving, are part of Starbucks' holiday offerings. Erin Jane Schaeffer, a spokesperson for the coffee chain, said no other products were affected and that the company has not received any complaints so far.
On Nov. 26, Taylor Farms Pacific Inc. recalled numerous food items containing its Celery and Onion Diced Blend product after the Montana Health Department detected E. coli 0157:H7 from a sample. Costco used the said product in its Rotisserie Chicken Salad, which has been associated with E.coli outbreaks in different states.
In a press release issued by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the products, including Starbucks' holiday turkey sandwiches, were recalled out of an "abundance of caution" due to the contaminated vegetable blend.
The turkey panini's cranberry cornbread stuffing contained celery, an ingredient the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had warned as the main cause of recent E.coli outbreaks that have affected about 19 people across seven states.
Starbucks is just one of the many restaurant chains affected by E.coli contamination. As of Nov. 19, a total of 45 people across six states have been affected by E.coli after consuming a common meal/ingredient from Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc.
Although E.coli is commonly found in humans' intestines, some strains can be dangerous. Most particularly, E.coli O157:H7 may cause people to suffer from diarrhea and even Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS), which is a type of kidney failure. The life-threatening disease most commonly affects the youth and the elderly. "The condition can lead to serious kidney damage and even death," the FDA warned.
Photo: Sabrina & Brad | Flickr