MENU

Google Transparency Report Reveals 95.5 Percent Of Mobile Traffic In North America Is Unencrypted

Close

Google has just added in a new segment to its Transparency Report that provides a clear look of the encryption usage on Google's own websites and beyond, revealing that 95.5 percent of traffic from mobile devices in North America is unencrypted.

Calling it HTTPS at Google, the goal here is to make the progress of one of the factors that can keep the Internet safe accessible to virtually everyone.

"Our aim with this project is to hold ourselves accountable and encourage others to encrypt so we can make the web even safer for everyone," Rutledge Chin Feman and Tim Willis, HTTPS evangelists at Google, say.

As mentioned earlier, 95.5 percent of unencrypted traffic is from mobile devices. That leaves 4.5 percent for desktop devices. The problem here is that the circumstances are highly unlikely to change any time soon.

"Unfortunately, these devices may no longer be updated and may never support encryption," Google says.

The company also doesn't say anything about the mobile operating systems and the devices that contributed to that figure.

Meanwhile, 77 percent of Google requests to the company's servers are on encrypted connections as of Feb. 28, 2016. It should be noted that YouTube traffic was not included.

Going over other Google products, both Gmail and Google Drive are the first ones to use HTTPS connections as a default.

Behind the pair are Google Maps and Advertising at 83 percent and 77 percent respectively. Needless to say, they have crossed the 75 percent threshold as well, indicating a good future of secured use in said services. However, the same can't be said about the 60 percent figure of News and 58 percent of Finance.

It's also worth mentioning that Google started to roll out HTTPS connection to Gmail back in March 2014, boosting security efforts. The move was followed by implementations on Drive and Search.

Now, the Transparency Report mainly focuses on Google websites, but the company also did the digital paperwork on the top 100 websites that are not under Google.

According to Google, the list of websites accounts for about 25 percent of traffic across the globe. Surprisingly, the number of websites that don't support any encryption outnumbers the websites that do.

ⓒ 2018 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Real Time Analytics