Samsung is expected to launch its next-generation Galaxy S8 at Mobile World Congress 2017 in February. A new report claims Samsung has just started firmware development for the upcoming smartphone.
The Galaxy Note 7 was probably one of, if not the most anticipated smartphone to launch in 2016. The phablet had a lot of things going for it before it was ever even announced and most tech critics predicted it would outshine its main rival, Apple's iPhone 7 Plus. Shortly after the Note 7 went on sale, Samsung's most heralded device quickly turned into a nightmare, as reports of exploding Galaxy Note 7 began to spread like wildfire.
Samsung has issued a worldwide recall, replaced defective devices and said the problem had been resolved. Unfortunately, customers soon began to report that the Note 7 replacement units were facing the same exploding issue that plagued the first batch. Now, the company has halted sales, production and is urging customers to exchange the phablet for one of its other handsets, while carriers are also allowing customers to choose other Android smartphones, or an iPhone 7 Plus.
Tech Times has reported that Apple is expected to sell an additional 8 million iPhones before the end of 2016 because of the Note 7 debacle. While Samsung is currently dealing with the huge fallout from the Galaxy Note 7, the company is already preparing for a comeback with next year's Galaxy S8 series.
A report from SamMobile claims that Samsung has just started firmware development for the Galaxy S8. The site says that the software being developed for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus is for use in the U.S., China, France, Germany, Italy, Korea, Poland and the UK.
The publication points out that this news appears to confirm that Samsung will indeed launch its next-generation Galaxy S8 series at an Unpacked event a day before the Mobile World Congress 2017, which kicks off on Feb. 27 in Barcelona. It notes that around this time last year, it reported that firmware development for the Galaxy S7 was also just starting. Samsung used the same trade show to launch the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge in 2015 and the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge in 2016.
The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus have a lot riding on them and will ultimately show if Samsung can regain consumer and carrier trust in the wake of the Note 7 fiasco. To ensure the pair has a fighting chance, the company is expected to put the devices through rigorous testing and use an updated design and top of the line specs.
The Galaxy S8 is believed to feature a 5.1-inch 2,560 x 1,440 pixels Quad HD curved Super AMOLED display and the Galaxy S8 Plus will reportedly boast a 5.5-inch 3,840 x 2,160 pixels 4K curved Super AMOLED display. Some reports claim that Samsung could launch the larger S8 Plus with support for the S Pen stylus, which was a major feature of its Galaxy Note phablet series. Other details claim the smartphones will use new Qualcomm Snapdragon 830 processors and like the iPhone 7 Plus, pack dual rear cameras.
You can expect to hear more and more details regarding the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus and we'll of course bring you all the latest news. Are you planning on purchasing either a Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus in light of the Note 7? Please let us and our readers know in the comments below.