MENU

Child Suffers Second-Degree Burns From Wearing Popular Light-Up Sneakers

Close

A mother shared her experience of how the popular light-up sneakers caused her son serious injury.

Sherry Foster said that her 9-year-old son was left with second-degree burns on his feet because of his Skechers brand "Sketch Rayz" sneakers.

Sneakers Spewed Corrosive After They Got Wet

In a Facebook post, Foster shared photos of her child's injury, explaining that the burns happened after his sneakers got wet. Her son's doctor said that burns were caused by the battery in the light up shoes.

Foster said that the sneakers malfunctioned after these got wet during an activity at her son Peyton's school on June 24, causing the batteries to spew corrosive. The child did not complain to his teacher despite the pain and it was not until the next day when he came home and informed his family about it.

"Peyton has 2nd degree chemical burns from his sketcher lightable shoes. apparently when they get wet the batteries release a chemical causing children's feet to burn," Foster said.

The boy's injuries prevented him from walking, running, and swimming but the doctor said that his feet should heal in about three weeks. Peyton was prescribed with an antibiotic cream to help with the blisters and a steroid as well.

Statement From Skechers

Foster said that she bought the shoes from a local store for $60 in April. She said that she has been loyal to the Skechers brand because it is American.

The shoe company said that it was already aware of the incident and has been in contact with Foster.

"Ms. Foster's Facebook post was brought to our attention Friday, June 29, we immediately contact her, inquired about her son, and asked her to send us the shoes so we can determine whether the shoes contributed to her son's injuries," the company said.

Skechers nonetheless assured of the quality and safety of its shoes and that it has not had any incident of chemical burns in the past.

Taking Legal Action

Foster said that the company offered any replacement pair but said that she still considers taking a legal action. She said that the incident gave her child phobia of wearing shoes.

'He is very cautious and hesitant about (a new pair of sneakers). He burn his feet, but he doesn't want another pair," Foster said. "There was no warning on them, like don't get wet, or battery inside shoe or anything like that. How are you supposed to know? What if it rains the next day?"

ⓒ 2018 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Real Time Analytics