MENU

Bride Sues Wedding Reception Caterer After 100 Guests Became Violently Ill Due To Food Poisoning

Close

A couple from New York that married three years ago is suing the company they paid to serve food their wedding reception.

The newlyweds stated that their guests became really ill after eating the food and some of them had to be hospitalized.

A Wedding To Remember

Melissa Conarton and Jesse Abbott wed in July 2015 and hired Doug's Holy Smoke BBQ to cater for their wedding reception, which was held at the Arrowhead Lodge in Oneida Shores Park. The beautiful occasion turned into a disaster when 100 of their guests became violently ill due to food poisoning.

Melissa stated that people were vomiting, had diarrhea, and fainted in the parking lot after consuming the food that was served there.

"It was this beautiful day that just turned into this event that you would see in a horror movie. People were walking around not themselves-- they couldn't talk, they were incoherent. Some people saying things like 'I just wanna die," Melissa said.

Melissa continued that several ambulances arrived at the scene and 22 people had to be hospitalized. The couple believed the macaroni and cheese caused people to get sick.

Melissa and Jesse are now suing Doug's Holy Smoke BBQ and are hoping that suit will help cover the medical expenses of their guest. Melissa said that her guests paid a total of $12,000 dollars in medical bills.

Doug's Holy Smoke BBQ has denied the claims in the suit. It is countersuing Melissa and Jesse, stating that some of the damages were caused by third parties that brought other items to the wedding.

The New York State Department of Health tested samples from some individuals that were sick and the results came back positive for a staph infection. The department, however, has trouble determining what food caused the illness.

Food Poisoning: Symptoms And Awareness

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the symptoms of food poisoning include an upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, and a fever. Some symptoms can range from mild to severe depending on what germ the person has swallowed.

Symptoms can last for a few hours or a few days, however, some people can be hospitalized. Infections that are transmitted by food can lead to a person developing brain or nerve damage, hemolytic uremic syndrome, or chronic arthritis.

Health experts suggest that a person who gets a high fever, has diarrhea lasting for more than 3 days and blood in the stool, or continues to frequently vomit should go see a doctor.

See Now: 30 Gadgets And Tech Gifts For Father's Day 2018 That Dad Will Think Are Rad

ⓒ 2018 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Real Time Analytics