The Stiners of LaGrange, Ohio have never heard of caffeine powder before May 27. However, when their son died of a caffeine overdose, Dennis and Katie now think about it every day.

Logan Stiner was 18 years old. When he died of an overdose after ingesting around 23 times more than the usual amount of caffeine in a standard soda drink or coffee, he was just three weeks shy of his high school graduation. With as little as one teaspoon of powdered caffeine fatal, Logan's parents are petitioning the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to keep the stimulant away from teens as well as young adults.

To this end, the Stiners went on a meeting with Senators Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., and Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, joined by Jim and Julie Sweatt, parents of 24-year-old Wade who is also now dead from an overdose due to taking powdered caffeine.

The senators pledged that they will continue pressuring the FDA to take action on the product, adding legal action may be considered if necessary.

Blumenthal likened the stimulant to poison, saying powdered caffeine should be labeled with "a great big skull and bones" or simply banned altogether.

"While the dangers are not broadly understood, powdered caffeine is widely available online or in stores with little warning or guidance. That must stop," said Brown, adding that while it is already too late to save Logan Stiner and Wade Sweatt, it is still possible to protect others from the dangerous substance.

Powdered caffeine is made available as a dietary supplement, putting it under a different classification as other caffeinated food items. Usually added to beverages, it is used to boost energy before a workout or control weight gain.

At just 1/16th of a teaspoon, powdered caffeine packs in around 200 mg of caffeine, which is roughly the same caffeine content found in two large coffee cups.

According to an autopsy, Logan Stiner had over 70 micgrograms of caffeine for every milliliter of blood in his body. Katie said her son was simply having a busy week and thought a little boost couldn't hurt. Logan was anticipating on studying chemical engineering at the University of Toledo.

The FDA warned consumers about the dangers of powdered caffeine in July, reiterating that the product is a powerful stimulant.

"All consumers seeking caffeinated products should be aware of the potentially high potency of these powdered pure caffeine products. Parents should recognize that teenagers and young adults may be drawn to these products for their perceived benefits," wrote the agency.

ⓒ 2021 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.