A heartbreaking tragedy has occurred after the death of a young woman from New Mexico. Kiley Lane died from a rodent-borne disease after she began showing symptoms three months ago.

The young woman was initially thought to have the flu but Lane tested positive for the disease, which is also known as Hantavirus.

Kiley's Tragic Story

It is unknown how Kiley contracted the virus; however, people become infected by it through urine or droppings of infected rodents. Kiley's mom stated back in February 2018 that Kiley was looking forward to going on a trip with her girlfriends but couldn't even do things on her own.

Kiley became deathly ill due to the disease and sought treatment at the University of New Mexico Hospital with an ECMO machine. ECMO stands for Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation. It was designed to support heart and lung function. The doctors at UNMH claimed that it can also bring a person back to life by circulating the blood through their blood.

Kiley's family was certain that she would pull through with the treatment; however, they announced on her YouCaring page that she eventually passed away.

What Is Hantavirus?

The hantavirus is also known as Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome. The rare but fatal disease was first discovered in 1993 and the states primarily affected by it are Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico.

As of January 2017, about 728 cases have been reported with 63 percent of those affected are men and 37 percent were women. It has also been reported that mainly White Americans are affected by the disease.

Symptoms of the Hantavirus include fever, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain which are very similar to the flu. In about four to ten days, a person could also experience coughing, shortness of breath, and fluid in the lungs.

There isn't a vaccination or treatment for this virus but early detection can help save a person's life. Kiley's family urged that her story continued to be shared and hopefully raise awareness about the disease. The family shared on Kiley's fundraiser page that if anyone should ever be infected with this deadly virus, they should ask questions immediately and get tested to avoid the "pain and agony" Kiley faced. 

ⓒ 2021 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.