Super Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai announced a bunch of new Super Smash Bros. DLC Sunday morning during a special video presentation. This included several new playable characters, Mii fighter costumes and stages.
Much of the announcement had already been revealed in a leak Saturday, so Sakurai unfortunately didn't unveil too much that fans probably didn't already know about. The most noteworthy announcement was the confirmation that Ryu from Street Fighter and Roy from the Fire Emblem series would be added as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Players will of course be able to use Ryu's iconic Hadouken move, and Roy, who was last seen in Super Smash Bros. Melee, now has a Final Smash called the Critical Hit.
Super Smash Bros. will bring together three of the biggest fighting game franchises of all time. In addition to the new Street Fighter DLC, Super Smash Bros. will also feature Mii fighter costumes of Heihachi from Tekken and Jacky and Akira from Virtua Fighter.
Sakurai also announced a few new gameplay features for Super Smash Bros. These include posts from character-specific Miiverse communities appearing as you battle in the new Miiverse stage, a new Tourney mode coming in August that lets you play elimination style or with a points system and the ability to post replays on YouTube from the Wii U version of the game.
However, what was surprising was the announcement that all of this DLC would become available Sunday. Prior to this announcement, it was unclear when players would be able to access this new DLC. Nintendo had only previously announced that the character Lucas from Mother 3 and Splatoon Mii fighter costumes would be scheduled to go live Sunday.
Check out the complete list of Super Smash Bros. updates below:
- New Playable Characters: Roy (Fire Emblem), Lucas (Mother 3), Ryu (Street Fighter)
- New Mii Fighter Costumes: MegaMan.EXE (MegaMan Battle Network), ZERO (MegaMan X), Isabelle (Animal Crossing), Inkling Boy & Inkling Girl (Splatoon), Squid Hat (Splatoon), Jacky (Virtua Fighter), Akira (Virtua Fighter), Heihachi (Tekken)
- New Amiibo Figures: Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner (all three come with custom settings), R.O.B., Duck Hunt and Mr. Game & Watch (NES), Falco (Star Fox), Mewtwo (Pokemon), Lucas, Roy, Ryu
- New Stages: Dream Land, Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle in the works, Miiverse with new music and posts from character-specific Miiverse communities appearing in the background, Suzaku Castle (Street Fighter II) that can feature Ryu or Ken's theme music
- New Tourney mode that lets you play elimination style or with a points system
- Post replay videos on YouTube
Watch the full Super Smash Bros. video presentation below.