A California woman and her daughter owe their life to their 8-month old pet dog after fire broke out in their home.

Fire Alert

The pit bull named Sasha started to bark when flames ripped through the family's home last weekend. The fire reportedly broke out at a fourplex on East Yorkshire Drive on June 3, but the family managed to escape unharmed when the dog banged on the back door as fire tore through parts of the complex.

The dog's owner, Nana Chaichanhda, said that when she opened the door, the dog barked at her "like crazy." She said that she found this weird because the dog does not normally do this. It was then she noticed that the building was in flames.

She quickly ran into the bedroom to grab her 7-month-old daughter, but the dog was already there attempting to save the baby. Chaichanhda saw Sasha dragging the baby by the diaper off the bed.


Chaichanhda said that she does not always keep the dog outside at night, and she is thankful that she did on that particular day.

She also said that she is not surprised the dog saved her daughter because the pair has a special bond. The puppy is in the child's bed every day, and the two even bathe together.

"[Sasha] saved everybody," Chai said. "Because if it wasn't for her, I don't think that any of us in this complex would have known anything ... If she wasn't barking or really going at the door like that, I probably wouldn't have known nothing."

New Life

Fire crews arrived within minutes of the 911 call, but Chaichanhda's home is now uninhabitable.

Chaichanhda, who has two other children, now stays at a relative and is looking for a new place to live with her three children. Her sister, Christine White, has set up a GoFundMe page to help raise funds for the family

"This gofundme is setup to help not only my family but also sasha our hero pup start a new life in a new home," White wrote. "The funds will help us get into a new home, also provide clothes, shoes and food for my family."

Man's Best Friend

In 2017, a dog also saved a family in France from fire. The family from Creteil in Paris woke up because of the sound of their dog barking and realized that their front door was already on fire.

ⓒ 2021 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.