Google has discontinued its first, midrange Pixel 3A and Pixel 3A XL phones, so finding one now becomes a challenge, especially if you're looking for a specific size and color.
It wasn't an abrupt move, but the timing is not ideal as the long-rumored Pixel 4A has not yet been replaced from shelves. And if you're waiting for the new phone's XL version, Google won't make one.
By discontinuing the Pixel 3A ahead of Pixel 4A, Google avoided the need to discount the 3A past its last sale price. Sadly, current prices are not as small as they once were, and the fact that retailers typically raise prices on discontinued products does not help.
Even though a better phone probably is about to replace the Pixel 3A, there are still some good reasons to invest in it if you can get a deal. It has a great camera, especially given what the competition is, or rather is not capable of at this price point. It can produce photos that can compete with the 2018 Pixel 3 flagship phone. Every US carrier can also work with the Pixel 3A and Pixel 3A XL.
Here are a couple of reputable storefronts that still sell it fresh.
Where to find Pixel 3A
Amazon has all three Pixel 3A colors: black, white, and purple. It's one of the few retailers to offer a steep discount on a new product sold by Woot, an affiliate owned by Amazon.
Best Buy sells the 64 GB Pixel 3A new in each color at the regular price. If you want to save more, scroll down on the Best Buy product page to the "Purchase Options" section to see if there are any discounts on used, open-box versions.
Where to find Pixel 3A XL
As for the Pixel 3A XL, Best Buy will sell that one in black at the regular price. Like the 3A, you might find open-box models for less by clicking on the "Buy Options" tab on the product page further down.
How to use Google Pixel Security Check
The latest Android 10 update on the Google Pixel smartphone line has also introduced a range of exciting features to the platform. One of these is the Personal Safety app. Through this new entrance into the Android ecosystem, you will ensure that you can know about your whereabouts and whether there is cause for concern regarding your emergency contacts.
Those contacts with emergencies could be loved ones, family, friends, coworkers or managers. Anyone who needs to be aware of your position will be reassured that this function is being used.
The Personal Safety app is available for the Google Pixel phone line only. How does it work now?
- You need to configure your Emergency Contacts first. Once you have identified your emergency contacts, you can then start using the Safety Check feature.
- Open the Personal Safety app. Tap the Security test in the bottom-left corner of the main page.
- From the top drop-down pick the reason you're turning on the Safety Check in the resulting pane. You can choose from four choices when you tap the drop-down or write a custom purpose.
- From the bottom drop-down, pick the time you will be away, and tap Next. You can pick which emergency contacts in the final screen to warn you are going to be away.
- You may also opt to automatically alert contacts at the bottom of this window when you turn on the Safety Check.
- Tap the On / Off slider and press Switch On.
Be sure to turn off the Safety Check when you arrive back from your whereabouts. If you don't, when the time you set has elapsed, you'll be reminded. When you don't respond to the check-in, your contacts will be informed of the emergency and will act accordingly.