iOS 15's FaceTime now allows its users to call people using an Android device or Windows PC.
As per CNBC, previously FaceTime is only exclusive to Apple users with an iPhone, iPad, and even Macs.
FaceTime for Android, Windows in iOS 15
However, for the first time, through the iOS 15 update, FaceTime is now also available on Android and Windows users, at least via browser.
Although iMessage is basically the messaging counterpart of FaceTime, the Cupertino giant has yet to release it to non-Apple users as well.
But for now, Apple, Android, and Windows users could finally break operating system barriers and call each other, either through voice or video.
It is worth noting that video conferencing steeply increased its usage as the COVID-19 pandemic forced people to stay at the confines of their homes.
As such, the video conferencing platform, Zoom, which was not a household name before the pandemic, became one of the most-used apps.
That said, it seems that Apple did not want to be left behind by the increasing market of video calls. Thus, the iPhone maker opened their once exclusive feature to more users.
How to FaceTime Android or Windows Users
Now that iPhone, iPad, and Mac users could call friends, family members, and work colleagues, who are using Android or Windows, here's how to do so.
But before anything else, it is worth noting that one of the users needs to use an Apple device.
The person with the Apple gadget needs to share a link to the Android or Windows user, which they could open on any web browser from their phone or computer, according to CNET.
That said, non-Apple users will no longer need to install another app to their platform, any preferred web browsing app will do.
Without any further ado, here's how to FaceTime non-Apple users:
- Open the FaceTime app from your iPhone or iPad running iOS 15.
- Select the "Create Link" option from the upper left corner of the interface.
- Send the link either via an email, text message, or even other messaging platforms, such as Messenger or Slack.
- Tap the "FaceTime Link" option to call the other party.
- Then, click the "Join" button.
- After which, wait for the Android or Windows user to click the link and request to join the call.
- Lastly, approve the request to start the FaceTime call.
How to Join FaceTime Call from Android or Windows Device
If you're an Android or Windows user, there are different steps to follow to start joining a FaceTime call that an Apple user hosted.
First off, ask for the link from the iOS user as it would be required to join the FaceTime call, as per MacWorld.
- Upon receiving the link from the host, which needs to be an Apple user, click it.
- Then, enter your name.
- After which, click the Continue button.
- Now, tap the Join button to request joining.
- Lastly, wait for the host to let you enter the FaceTime call.
This article is owned by Tech Times
Written by Teejay Boris