Before you finally zip up that travel bag and hop on a plane to the beach or simply before heading out of the house to get a little bit of the summer heat, don't forget that mosquitoes are as excited as you are because summer is also their season.

Mosquito bites leave small marks on the skin, but the worst kinds could lead to a lot of serious diseases. Doctors highlight that now is the right time to know more about these pesky mosquitoes, find out how susceptible a person is to bites and learn simple, easy steps to avoid them.

About 20 percent of the population is highly susceptible to mosquito bites. They are more prone to get bitten compared with the rest of the 80 percent.

Weird as it sounds, susceptibility has, to some degree, something to do with the clothes that we wear, the type of blood that runs in our system, the air that we breathe out and the way our metabolism functions. According to London-based dermatologist and spokesperson of the British Skin Foundation Dr. Anjali Mahto, these factors can make one attractive to mosquitoes.

Scent and vision drive mosquitoes to their targets. Dark colors are more appealing to them so make sure to wear lighter colors like white or pastels. They go with a light summer feel too.

People with Type O blood are two times more likely to get bitten than those with Type A blood, while Type B blood fall somewhere in the middle. This is because different blood types secrete, through the skin, different levels of saccharides or sugars that mosquitoes are attracted to.

Larger people with increased bodily habitus are also more likely to get bitten as far as carbon dioxide is concerned. There's really not much we can do here, since exhaling carbon dioxide is not uncommon in everyone. Mosquitoes just prefer getting near carbon dioxide which they can actually smell even from a hundred feet away. Pregnant women also become more susceptible because of a larger amount of carbon dioxide released, and warmer temperatures in the body.

Metabolism in our body also secretes, through the skin and sweat, lactic acid, uric acid cholesterol, ammonia and steroids which mosquitoes like. Lactic acid, for example builds up during strenuous exercise, which makes one more susceptible.

This summer, when the pesky mosquito population is at its peak, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also lists down easy steps to take to ensure mosquito-bite driven illnesses are prevented.

Insect repellents. Applying products that contain DEET, Picaridin or KBR 3023, oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE), PMD or IR3535 is the best way to keep mosquitoes away. Even children and pregnant women can use them.

Protective clothing. If the heat of the summer won't get in the way, cover yourself up by wearing long-sleeved shirts or pants.

Inside the house. Keep mosquitoes from getting inside the house, by using air-conditioning or window screening.

Traveling. Learn about your destination before leaving for a beach trip, to find out about possible health risks. Don't forget to bring your travel health kit which should contain your repellent. See your doctor before and after your trip.

The summer season is inviting, but mosquitoes are not. Go out and have your fun in the sun but don't forget to protect yourself from this season's pesky mosquitoes.

These measures are steps anyone can take. When shrugged off, they could lead to serious illnesses like the West Nile Virus, Chikungunya or Dengue.

Photo: Johan | Flickr

ⓒ 2021 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.