Sarai Rodriguez-Miranda tried to poison her 11-week-old niece by mixing a lethal concoction of crushed pills into breast milk meant for the baby. An arrest warrant has been issued for the teenager, who has been charged with attempted murder.
Medicine September 29, 2017
The CDC revealed 14 incidences of wild mushroom poisoning in the last two weeks of December 2016. The agency advises against foraging and eating wild mushrooms.
Public Health June 3, 2017
Pet medicines must be kept out of reach of children. In Central Ohio, 88 percent of accidental poising cases among children involved medicine for dogs.
Public Health February 12, 2017
Each day, one child is mistaking laundry tabs for sweets and eating them, a new report has revealed. We list down a few simple tips to keep your child safe from poison.
Healthy Living/Wellness June 5, 2016
Consumer advocates are calling for stricter regulations on button batteries to protect children from accidentally swallowing them. Currently, only the toys meant for children below three years of age come with secure compartments for button batteries.
Healthy Living/Wellness May 31, 2016
The FDA warned about the dangers of giving dogs food that contains the artificial sweetener Xylitol. Here are other food products that may be safely consumed by humans but can be fatal to pet animals.
Animals May 15, 2016
Artificial sweetener found in sugarless gum may kill dogs, the U.S. FDA warns. A substance called xylitol may cause blood sugar to drop tremendously, eventually leading to death if left uncontrolled.
Animals May 13, 2016
A worker at a Stavis Seafoods warehouse in Boston died Wednesday night during an ammonia leak incident. Authorities are still investigating the matter and any previous safety issues at the facility.
Life March 24, 2016
Over-the-counter medications and supplements had overtaken prescription drugs in the top 10 pet toxins list in 2015. Last year, over 28,500 cases of pet toxicity from this group were reported.
Life March 22, 2016
More than 150 kids go to the emergency room daily due to accidental medicine overdose. Advocates urge parents and carers to stay alert all the time.
Life March 19, 2016
Study found cadmium and mercury in the remains of whales that died on Scottish shores in 2012. The findings suggested that the concentrations of mercury in the seas could be increasing to a level that could add more toxic stress into the marine mammals.
Earth/Environment February 12, 2016
Accidental ingestion of sugarless gums with a substance called xylitol caused a surge in cases of dog poisoning in the United States. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is safe for humans, but very toxic and fatal to dogs.
Life November 4, 2015
After pressing a bottle of oven cleaner to his mouth, Elijah Mole sustained severe burns on his face, mouth, neck and tongue. The accident happened when his dad was cleaning the oven.
Life October 16, 2015
Thousands of children are being poisoned each year across the United States by laundry detergent pods. Is industry doing enough to solve the problem?
Life July 17, 2015
Foraging for wild mushrooms can be dangerous, a report out of Canada warns. What can fungi do to the human body?
Life July 13, 2015
Health officials in Minnesota have issued a warning to swimmers to be wary of foul-smelling and algae-filled lakes. A young boy and two dogs were poisoned by toxins released by blue-green organisms last month in Alexandria.
Life July 4, 2015
A pre-teen who was unhappy her mother punished her by taking away her iphone poisoned her mother's smoothie and drinking water with bleach. She faces two counts of attempted first-degree murder.
Society March 23, 2015
More females are taking their lives, with suffocation and hanging the top activity, reports a new federal study. The numbers of young boys committing suicide is also increasing, with firearms the favored approach.
Life March 6, 2015
Officials trying to determine source of poison in homemade beer that killed scores at funeral in Mozambique. Suspicions about crocodile bile have not been proven, they say, but tests are being done.
Life January 12, 2015
A one-year-old toddler died after accidentally swallowing liquid nicotine from a bottle that did not have a childproof cap. Harmful exposure to the toxic substance has skyrocketed with the growing popularity of electronic cigarettes.
Life December 13, 2014
Authorities in India are investigating possible drug contamination in the deaths of women treated at a "sterilization camp." Antibiotics administered after tubal ligation may have contained rat poison, officials say.
Life November 16, 2014
Laundry detergent pods can pose a life threatening risk for young children. Experts recommend that families with young children should opt for detergent powder or liquid for washing clothes.
Life November 11, 2014
Experts warned that parents with small children at home should use traditional laundry detergent. Between 2012 and 2013, there have been over 700 cases of children who were hospitalized due to exposure to laundry pods.
Life November 10, 2014
Probiotic bacteria in yogurt found to protect children and pregnant women from the effects of toxic heavy metals. Yogurt kept arsenic, mercury in the diet from being absorbed into the body, study found.
TECH TV October 7, 2014
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have reported a sharp spike in e-cigarette poisonings across the past three and a half years, calling for stronger legislation around the use, packaging and sale of the electronic devices.
Life April 3, 2014