Lodged inside the brain of a woman misdiagnosed with a brain tumor was a baby tapeworm. Doctors found it during a surgery following a host of bizarre symptoms that include hallucinations and disorientation.
Healthy Living/Wellness June 10, 2019
The young man brought to a hospital in India for seizures turned out to have neurocysticercosis. The potentially fatal condition is caused by ingestion of pork tapeworm's eggs. What are the symptoms?
Public Health March 29, 2019
A tapeworm in the spine turned out to be responsible for the odd sensation and pain in a French woman's feet. What are the other symptoms associated with echinococcus granulosus infection?
Public Health July 13, 2018
A French woman, who had been struggling with pain in her lower legs, discovered she had a parasite that invaded her spine. The parasite is usually found in pets or farm animals.
Public Health July 12, 2018
Hockey prospect Carson Meyer, 20, discovered that a 25-inch orange tapeworm was living inside him for a year. It caused Meyer to lose weight and feel lethargic.
Healthy Living/Wellness May 24, 2018
A salmon sashimi lover thought that his intestines were coming out of his bottom. It turned out to be a tapeworm that measured over five feet, according to Dr. Kenny Bahn on the 'This Won't Hurt A Bit' podcast.
Public Health January 19, 2018
Doctors in India discovered a 6-foot-long tapeworm in a man's gut and extracted it through the patient's mouth. An endoscopy revealed a long tapeworm curled up inside the man's intestines.
Public Health January 26, 2017
Given that experts have recently identified the presence of the Japanese broad tapeworm in wild pink salmon caught in Hawaii, is there an immediate danger of infection for salmon and sushi lovers in the country?
Healthy Living/Wellness January 16, 2017
The Japanese broad tapeworm was once thought to infect only fish in Asia. Now, four species of Pacific salmon carry the parasite. What species of salmon are affected?
Public Health January 15, 2017
A man from China who was suffering from stomach pains and drastic weight loss excreted a 20-foot long tapeworm. Doctors said he likely ingested the parasite from eating raw beef.
Life January 22, 2016
Tapeworm population in a male HIV patient turned malignant and caused multiple tumors to grow and spread in his body, leading to his death. The scientific community is still in the dark about how the human parasite cells turned cancerous.
Life November 6, 2015
A man from California received the shock of his life upon learning he had a tapeworm larva lodged in his brain. The worm had been blocking the flow of water in his brain, which could have eventually led to death if it had been left untreated.
Life November 5, 2015
CDC researchers looked into the case of a man from Colombia with HIV who recently died due to a rare cancerous disease. The disease was found to be caused by a tapeworm infection and not human cancer cells.
Life November 5, 2015
Doctors have successfully removed tapeworm eggs inside the brain of Yadira Rostro, the 31-year-old woman who suffered massive headaches for nine months.
Life September 19, 2015